ad dynamo

Wednesday 30 October 2013

Aliyu Denies Leaving New PDP by Usbeel

Governor of Niger State, Dr. Mu’azu
Babangida Aliyu has denied the lead report
in the Daily Trust of Tuesday October 29,
2013, that he pulled out of the group of
seven ( G-7) governors and the new PDP,
saying he remains the leader of the G-7.
The Daily Trust yesterday carried a report
quoting an unnamed source close to the
governor as revealing that the governor has
chosen to leave the fold of the new PDP
quietly to return to the Bamanga Tukur-led
PDP.
Following yesterday’s denial by the governor
which claimed that the Daily Trust report
was a lie, the paper has revealed that the
information contained in its lead report of
Tuesday was actually from the media aide to
the governor, Danladi Ndayebo, who on
Monday told our reporter with express
approval that it should be reported that the
governor is leaving the fold of the new PDP.
Daily Trust had reported the story based on
the reliability of the source, supposing that
such a revelation could not only be
authentic and true but can only be given out
with the full consent of the governor.
Ndayebo reliably informed our
correspondent that Gov. Aliyu had pulled out
of the new PDP saying the governor had
succumbed to pressure from PDP
stakeholders and in order to save his
political career which was being threatened
by the adventure with the leadership of the
nPDP. The spokesman said that the governor
has been under pressure from stalwarts of
the ruling party, including the Chairman of
the PDP Board of Trustees, Chief Tony
Anenih, Chief Raymond Dokpesi and one-
time Director General of the Nigerian
Television Authority (NTA), Mr Ben Bruce
who met him at different times to plead with
him to return to the party.
Governor Aliyu yesterday while playing host
to the national president and other leaders
of the Nigeria Civil Service Union in his
office in Minna, described the Daily Trust
report as an enemy action sponsored to
break the ranks of the G-7 governors.
He said: “I woke up this morning with a rude
shock that a newspaper that can call me at
anytime to confirm a report would file such
a report because I was not in a meeting. The
paper went to town saying I have pulled out
of G-7.
“The truth of the matter is that Babangida
Aliyu is still a member and in fact, I am the
leader of G-7.
“I regard that write-up as an enemy action.
It was planted by people who are interested
in breaking our ranks and who try to input
motives where there are none. I see the
hands of some people I can identify to have
sponsored this article. I urge people not to
make policies relating to all they read in the
papers as some of these articles are
sponsored.”
Aliyu said his absence from the Sunday
meeting of the G-7 was not intentional and
explained that he was absent partly because
of the shift of the time of the meeting and
his ill-health and that his colleagues were
adequately informed and apologies sent
through three governors and wondered why
his absence at the meeting could be
misconstrued to mean he is pulling out of
the group.
“On that day, I did not plan to leave Minna
until 2pm since the meeting was slated for
8pm, then I got a call that the Sokoto State
governor had requested a shift in time
because he had a programme the next day
on the opening of the state university and he
requested that the meeting is shifted from
8pm to 2pm.
“So I sent an apology because there was no
way I could meet up with them since I was
still in Minna by 2pm. I spoke to three of my
colleagues and asked them to help me
tender my apologies especially as I was not
feeling too well but I had intended to travel.
When other of my colleagues were not
around, I attended meetings on their behalf,
I don’t see why my absence would be
conjured to mean I have pulled out of the
G7”, Aliyu explained.
He also said: “This is not the time for
anyone to pull out of the party when out of
respect for the office of the President and
the President himself, we are discussing.
There is no way you can wake up and say
you are pulling out when you are already
negotiating. You cannot pull out at this
moment. The time for decision to be taken
will be when we have concluded discussions
with the President.
“After the conclusion and agreement at the
end of the discussions, those who may be
satisfied with the outcome will take their
decision, the same with those not satisfied
with the outcome. Despite anyone’s decision,
we will still remain as Nigerians.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts