ad dynamo

Sunday 20 October 2013

ASUU strike: UNIABUJA student attempts suicide, says it was a better option

The ongoing strike of the Academic Staff Union
of Universities, ASUU took a different turn on
Saturday at the Dutse-Alhaji area of Abuja when
a female student of the University of Abuja
made to hang herself in protest of the nearly
four months old strike.
The female student identified as Jane Okoro
had already hanged herself, but fell off the
ceiling while struggling, apparently because the
rope she used was not strong enough.
Jane had sent her two younger brothers on an
errand, just a way of sending them out of the
house to be able to carry out the abominable
act, but one of the brothers returned after 15
minutes and saw her on the floor with a rope
tied round her neck while another rope
dangled from the ceiling fan. The 15 year old
boy raised the alarm, thinking that his sister
was dead, attracting neighbours and other
onlookers into their compound. However, it
was discovered by those who got there first,
that Jane was alive as it was only a suicide
attempt.
The boy, who was identified as Andrew had told
our correspondent that the sister was behaving
so strange throughout that morning. He said, ”
She was to go to the market with my mum, but
said she was not feeling too well. While we
were at home with her, she refused to talk. She
was always on her Blackberry. Shortly after
she had her bath, she sent us to First-Gate
(market), but I left some money I wanted to
use to buy my personal stuff at home, so upon
return, I saw her on the floor of our parlour. I
even thought she was dead, so I shouted.”
Meanwhile, the mother who
returned from the market
immediately after the news got to her had told
our correspondent in tears that, her daughter
must have attempted to commit suicide
because of the ongoing ASUU strike. She said, I
will ask her questions on why she wanted to do
this to us. She has been complaining to me
about this ASUU strike. She said, at her age,
she should have been done with school, and
begin to take care of the children and I. Her
father is late. I know that only this week, she
had complained to me up to 6 times on how
frustrating this strike has been. I know other
things may have contributed, but ASUU strike
may have contributed the most; but for
whatever reason, it was devilish for my
daughter to have attempted suicide.” She said.
Asked what she was going to do about the
situation, she said ” I will take her to my
Pastor this evening. She needs prayers. We
need somebody to talk to her. God will do the
miracle for me. I didn’t do anything to
anybody. I must not suffer for nothing. She is
already in her third year in school. What
would I have done if this had happened?”
Attempt to speak with Jane failed as she could
not respond to questions from our
correspondent. The only statement she
muttered was ” It was a better option”.
The mother had later asked our correspondent
to leave her to rest. She said ” she will talk to
you after we see our Pastor. She will give the
testimony herself.”
However, a female friend of Jane who had
pleaded not to be mentioned showed our
correspondent her recent conversation with
Jane on her Blackberry. She said ” my last chat
with her was on this very ASUU strike. See
what she posted, ” I tire for these ASUU
peopleoooo” She showed our correspondent
the chat.

1 comment:

  1. see what asuu is causing in Nigeria abeg.
    Www.healthyafrica.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts